2013년 6월 11일 화요일

Forgetting-Losing (revised)

Forgetting-Losing

As an eight-year-old elementary school kid, my life was simple. I would go to the school which was at the time merely considered as a yet another place with metal slides and friends whom I could play hide and seek with. My daily routine at school was: playtime-lunch-playtime.
My parents were both extremely busy. Mom came back from work late, and dad was not even living with our family because of his job in another region. So instead of going home after school, I went to my grandparents’ every day and waited for mom to come until the clock struck 10. My Grandparents were my second-parents. With them, I learned not to devour food before adults had their chance. With them, I began to think how cool it was to collect things- like books and souvenirs which were set up on the drawer in their living room-and I started to collect things such as rocks, erasers, papers, feeling so professional. With them, I realized how a night’s walk was not frightening at all, but actually was soothing. They loved me and I loved them back. With them, I grew up.
My simplicity in life began to crack as I entered middle school. I adjusted myself to a new daily life routine which did not include a whole chunk of ‘playtime’. Then I started to run as if I was chasing something, like everyone else around me was. At some point, having a dinner with grandparents once or twice a week began to feel like a burden. I would feel disturbed when I woke up on sweet Sunday mornings to pick up phone calls from my grandfather. When I visited them, I made a promise to ‘drop in as often as I can’. A promise that I had to keep renewing. My precious ‘collections’ in a special box were crouching in the corner barely noticed.
Whenever I felt sorry, I reassured myself that it was not my fault. It was because the environment around me was getting more complex. I had to form new connections with other people to be a member of a group. Participating in ‘social activities’. I was always somehow, somewhat, ‘occupied’. There was simply not enough room to fit in everything.  Nonetheless, I still had some time to check things on Facebook in my free time, text people, eat out with my friends after the finals. Somewhere inside my mind, I knew the issue was about me, not about the ‘environment’.Changes were brought about because I was forgetting. About time, memories, feelings I shared.
People forget. There are many things they can forget. They range from concrete objects such as their phones to something more sentimental as their memories. When you do not care about anything you used to care so much. When you feel a gap time has set between you and some people around you. When you begin to think things you poured so much passion into were not so important. You are forgetting.
Some people think this whole process of ‘forgetting’ as a part of growing up. According to them, it enhances your ability to categorize what it important from what it not. It makes you focused. Once you fall into a habit of forgetting, you begin to forget some things mattered at all to you. You become so used to it that it is not a great deal anymore. You might think things are moving on to much more important things, socially and academically productive things.
When you do forget, it means you are watching them escape and slip through your fingers. Forgetting means you are losing something. Another piece of valuable memory, sentiment, story. Forgotten, lost in your life. Do not let it slip away. Keep it. Grasp it.

댓글 1개: